Essential Documents to Prepare to Study in the U.S.
Studying abroad is one of the greatest journeys that most students dream of. However, it can be complicated for those who are wishing to pursue educational opportunities in the United States. Many students might bring up questions about when or what documents they should prepare once they are ready to study in the United States. Of course, you have to be prepared in advance!
It is important to start working months ahead to secure admission to your desired institution or program, however, before everything starts, you need to make to always read the requirements carefully and take notes so that you don’t miss any essential documents.
The documents may vary depending on the level of education you are applying for: high school or university/college. But in general, these are the essential documents for a study abroad application:
- Application form: This is the most important document that includes all your personal and professional details. It needs to be filled carefully with correct information. Always double-check before submitting.
- Academic transcripts: Along with the application form, you need to send the academic certificates in support of your educational qualifications. If you have just completed your higher secondary studies and are applying for undergraduate studies you need to send the high school transcripts and higher secondary certificate to the university.
- Entrance test scores: For any admission to US Universities, you may be required to take entrance exams like GRE/TOEFL/GMAT/SAT. Depending on the course you are applying for, you need to take the respective exam. For any of these courses along with the standardized tests, candidates should also take English language tests such as the TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS to prove their efficiency in English.
- Letter of Recommendation: A Recommendation letter is a letter requested to be written about us by someone. The writer assesses qualities, characteristics, and capabilities of the person being recommended on his/her ability to perform a particular task or function.
- Passport-size photographs: Though it looks easy to get, you need to ensure the photo follows the correct format to apply. If you have not attached the correctly-sized photographs, your application may get rejected.
- Essay: Some universities and/or programs may ask you to submit a study abroad essay to make sure you are serious about your study abroad plans. This essay can be a great chance to make an impeccable first impression and show the university/program administrators that you are ready and determined to pursue the said course in their organization.
Most importantly, it is requisite to have a passport that is valid for at least six months after your expected return date. In case you do not have a passport or it is about to expire, you should apply for one or renew it as soon as possible. Another point is to make sure you apply to your chosen schools and programs before the application deadline.
ICES Cambodia is here to help streamline the complex application process. ICES Cambodia offers a free consultation on studying abroad as well as helping you with the application process. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up for the study abroad program with ICES Cambodia and go on a thrilling adventure abroad now!
For more information on how you can high school abroad with ICES Cambodia, as well as the program fees and application process, please contact 061 924 141 or 098 686 901. To be eligible, you must pass the English Proficiency Test provided by ICES Cambodia and have a good academic record (Average “C” in main subjects for the past 3 years). Register now to take the English Test: https://forms.gle/kssVi53beRzEQYmY6.